This is a 4-hour course designed to introduce participants to the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS). WHMIS was updated in 2015 to align with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) developed by the United Nations. The updated classifications, labels, and safety data sheets will improve communication, clarity, and worker safety. Although the system has changed, the responsibilities of workers, employers, and suppliers remain unchanged.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain and comply with WHMIS regulatory requirements
- Explain the importance and requirements of WHMIS education and training
- Explain the classification system and use the knowledge to identify hazards
- List the different types of labels and describe the main components of each
- Use labels to identify hazards and follow safe work procedures
- Describe the main components of an MSDS and use it to obtain information and develop safe work procedures, and identify the key elements of a WHMIS program and implement the program
No prerequisites required.